Friday, August 31, 2007

Fish (head) Soup, again

Fish head soup, is a great favorite of mine. Perhaps its a gross out for some, but don’t avoid it, until you’ve tried it! I make by boiling the fish head to break it up, then browning it and simmering it for hours, with garlic, a few tomatoes, and black pepper. I add a little karavala (dried fish), washed out first in boiling water, quite early. This gives the soup a really special taste.

I’ve blogged about this before, but this time, after the soup was done, I strained it, and creamed it with coconut milk power, topping it off with blanched pokchoy; so it looked a lot more 'sophisticated.' Ha ha.
No, its not a karavala hodda, but it recalls that – a favorite thing of mine with rice – but is subtler, richer and crunchy on the touch with the greens.

Fish (head) Soup, again

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pradeep,

Your cooking seems to just get better and better. This fish head recipe is inspiring - I feel like going and making some myself now.

Anyway, an invitation to dine at Amarasekara Mawatha is long overdue. How about Tuesday (4th) or Friday (7th)? (Basic student-level cooking, mind you).

I've lost my phone numbers by inadvertently jumping in a pool with my phone. So, if you could text me that would be great.

Jehan

Pradeep Jeganathan said...

Thanks stopping by-- and looking forward to dinner.

Anh said...

This looks really good! I am a Vietnamese, and we also have our version of fish foup, which is a lighter broth.

You have an amazing blog! I am so glad to find yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pradeep-

Moody pictures-I like them. I came to your blog by way of your book and a friend's recommendation.

I am in Seattle (where we have tons of Salmon) and recently learned a recipe for fish head soup from my (Native American) fisherman. He dries the head in the wind before making a broth, like his grandmother taught him, to preserve the flesh and give it a deeper earthier flavor. I am planning on trying it at my restaurant soon.

What is your favorite way to prepare lady fingers? I just bought spices for a white curry, but I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Lauren

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...