Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Pineapple Coconut Panna Cotta

Coconut Pineapple P <span style=

Then I got adventurous, and I’ve been experimenting. I got the idea for coconut panna cotta from Asian Tapas, a beautiful photographed, but not so practical cook book, I got in Malaysia recently. But then, I kind of ran with it a bit, a changed some stuff around.
The basis of panna cotta, in the northern Italian tradition is cream, sugar, milk and gelatin. It doesn’t use egg at all – unlike custards and crème brulees. Good cream is now hard to get in Colombo, so it really pays to switch to coconut milk, which can really be made very thick, if you use the power, like me – 5 tablespoons of power to ½ cup of hot water, made a very thick cream indeed.
Set that aside, and dice your pineapple; I had just three small slices, that were very ripe, and stewed them for a little while with 1/3 cup of vodka, which is clear and tasteless, almost, 2 teaspoons of white sugar, and a pinch of salt. When the vodka is slightly yellow, divide that into two, and pour the first half, into shot glasses, about an inch or so deep. Add the second half to the coconut cream, and puree, until its well blended. Then strain, add a teaspoon of gelatin, melted in a tiny bit of hot water, and mix in the cream, and pour on top of pineapple liquor in the shot glasses. Let that cool, in fridge, and it should set, soon!

Coconut Pineapple Panna Cotta (ii)

3 comments:

Sach said...

Man I think I discovered a treasure! This blog is just that!
Mate please gimme your email if you don't mind. Mine is sachintha81@gmail.com
I live in Japan and have to cook my own food most of the time, so this does help!
Gonna try out most of them!

Madeleine Vedel said...

yum!what a marvelous variation on an otherwise potentially bland dessert!

Pradeep Jeganathan said...

Why thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...